Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Burglary information

I received the following information from a reliable source. While I have not been able to separately confirm the information, it is still a reminder to be vigilant to be aware of your surroundings. Kristin

------

I just wanted to let those of you who aren't on facebook know that we were robbed yesterday. My neighbor couldn't keep Max so I opted out of the Wheeler Boarding playdate and the kids and I hopped into the car to HyVee. We left at 9:45. At 11:30 we came home and I took the diaper bag and two grocery bags in with me. When I got to the front door it was ajar and I thought, "Darn wind!" and went in. About 10 feet into the house I realized the back sliding door and screen doors were wide open and my dog wasn't greeting me. She was barking, really going ballistic, upstairs. I called for her three times and then yelled, "I'm leaving the house now" and slammed the front door, got in the car and drove up the street and dialed 911. It took about 10 minutes to get the cops there and the checked the house. Carson, the dog, was locked in our master bath and was trying to claw her way out. Our room was trashed (and Max's nursery) and all of my jewelry is gone. All of it. I have my wedding rings (thank god) but I didn't have anything else on - not my Tiffany's stuff from my wedding, both of my grandma's heirlooms - they took it all. The sick jerks also took my lingerie.We live in Urbandale just across from Walnut Hills Elementary School - 152/Meredith. It's a really nice neighborhood and a lot of stay at home moms. The police think they were casing the street, watching, for awhile and realized I have a pretty regular schedule (we leave daily by 10 and back around noon). They could have been friendly and given Carson treats when they would case the joint so she wasn't in "stranger" mode when they came in our fenced yard. There have been a string of these robberies in the area -- mostly in Clive -- and they said they are targeting younger families, go directly upstairs, raid the master bedroom, leave the big ticket items besides jewelry, and don't take anything that can't fit in their pockets.So, be safe. Obviously a locked slider isn't going to keep them out -- install a bar so it cannot open. Also, keep your windows and doors locked - even when you are home or playing outside.We are fine, safe, and glad we weren't home. It's a nasty ordeal but we are lucky only material things were taken from our family. I just wanted to let you all know what happened and if something seems suspicious or odd, call the cops with a license plate!!!!

Here is another one.

This house is right off of hickman by the caseys in clive. Our next door neighbors have been robbed AND the people across the street from us were robbed Thursday while they were out of town. My next door neighbor was robbed while she was at a Dr. appt for less than an hour. I would say that over 10 people in my close neighborhood area have been robbed and the police have no idea who is doing it. It was very similar to yours, in and out quickly, just jewelry taken and gone. They have zero leads. We have bumped up our security system and added cameras. We feel like sitting ducks, it's awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment